Shine encourages strong connections between church and home, such as:
- One page of the Early Childhood leaflet is a “For families” page. Beginning Fall 2016, this page will be available in Spanish (Para las familias) and can be downloaded at no cost.
- Each quarter, a few songs from the Early Childhood Music CD are available to families to download for free.
- A note for families is included in every Primary leaflet (and in every Multiage leaflet during the summer quarter) to give families ideas to discuss or activities to do that relate to the session. Often the note is on page 1 of the leaflet.
- Congregations are encouraged to give Shine On: A Story Bible or Resplandece: Historias de la Biblia par niños, the Spanish translation, to its families so that the stories can be read at church and at home.
- Each quarter, a letter to families is included in the Primary, Middler, and Multiage teacher’s guides. The letter provides an overview of the quarter, including the page numbers of the story in the story Bible. The letter can also be printed from the Extras webpage (under the corresponding quarter and age level).
- Beginning Fall 2016, Faith Talk, short bulletin notes to families, will be available online at no cost. They provide discussion starters and activities that correspond with each session of Shine.
- Families can help their children memorize the scripture chosen during the quarter; the Bible memory passages for all age levels are accessible to families online.
- Another family resource is the Lent 2016–Lent 2017 Shine On Bible reading plan. This reading plan is also available in Spanish: Resplandece: Un plan de leer la Biblia.