The Shine curriculum takes your children through important themes and characters in the Bible in three years. (The theme charts and Bible outlines follow this general description.)
- Fall quarters will engage Old Testament stories which follow a narrative sequence from one fall quarter to the next.
- Winter quarters will follow Advent and Jesus’ birth stories, followed by stories from the lectionary gospel for that year.
- Spring quarters continue the story of Jesus through Lent and Easter. After Easter, Spring quarters will feature “Shalom modules.” These modules will focus on an aspect of the biblical vision of shalom, which includes peace with self, creation, others, and God. This concept of shalom is found in Peace notes in every session of every teacher’s guide.
- Summer quarters will highlight themes or stories within the Old and New Testaments.
Biblical Themes Charts
Two themes charts are available for the next three curriculum years–one with the themes for Primary, Middler, Multiage, and Junior Youth; and one with the themes for Early Childhood. Some of the themes are for all age groups, and these are noted on the PDFs. The one for Primary through Junior Youth is also below in addition to the link to the PDF above:
|Primary–Junior Youth Theme Chart|
|Being God’s People Stories from the First Church First Families in Genesis||Journeys with Jesus
Advent and Christmas
Stories of Jesus
|God’s Good News
Lent and Easter
(Mark and John) The Ways of Peace
|God’s Creation Celebrating God’s World Experiencing God’s World Sharing God’s World|
|God’s Blessing and Care Stories from the First Church Escape from Egypt||Journeys with Jesus Advent and Christmas Stories of Jesus (Luke)||God’s Good News
Lent and Easter
(Luke) Enough for All
|Living in the Land Hearing God’s Call Kings and Prophets|
|Stories of God’s People Churches in Many Places Exile and Return||Journeys with Jesus Advent and Christmas Stories of Jesus (Matthew)||God’s Good News Lent and Easter (John and Matthew) Caring for the Least||Following God Faithful Women and Men Followers of Jesus|
|Click for the Early Childhood themes.|
The outlines list the scripture texts and purpose statements for each week.
Early Childhood has its own outline, approaching the texts in age-appropriate ways.
- Current year: Fall 2017-Summer 2018 EC Bible Outlines
- Upcoming year: Fall 2018-Summer 2019 EC Bible Outlines
Primary, Middler, Multiage, and Junior Youth share an outline. Each age group’s materials will give a variety of dynamic ideas for ways to apply the biblical teaching to your children’s lives.